Gatehouse Design can help make-to-order (MTO) companies develop new opportunities, reduce time and cost;
- New product development, developing strong well-structured standards.
- Incremental product development, improving the efficiency of a product or manufacturing process. Improvement of existing product definitions which can help secure new customers or manufacturing processes.
- Modular products for companies that offer many product variants
- Product configuration for companies that have already invested in modular products, reducing time and cost
- Design automation can be used to drive downstream processes such as 3D CAD, resource planning systems (ERP) or other processes.
Also known as build-to-order (BTO), is a production approach in which manufacturing starts only after a customer’s order is received.
New product development
We can help companies develop new products or modify existing products to suit new markets. Our engineers can help you at every phase of new product development from concept, evaluation, detailing, production and securing new intellectual property.
Incremental product development
Using your existing make-to-order product, we can help extend or modify the product to extend market share or to develop new market opportunities. We can also help modify products to suit new manufacturing processes or make improvements which can save time or cost.
For companies offering many product variations, developing modular products can radically reduce the number of product design that need to be managed which reduces engineering and sales time. Customers will receive information and products quicker and with less errors.
For companies that have few product variants, often specific documentation is required by different customers or markets. For example, documents may be required in different languages. Modular documentation can be used to simplify the production of documentation, streamlining the order fulfilment process. Modular documentation may consist of complete documents or modular content.
Product and document configuration
Product configuration can be used to quickly and accurately select modular products. The product configurator eliminates the need for product design following an order. Product information is available immediately and is always current and accurate. Product configuration reduces time and cost and ensures accuracy.
Where there are few product variants a document configurator may still be worth considering. Where the management of documents requires considerable time, a document configurator may be used. The document configurator creates or collates documents based on user selections. Documents may include commercial documents such as invoices, transport notes, technical manuals and instructions, compliance certification, product guarantees, export documentation and much more.
Product configuration provides Sales teams speed and knowledge and can be used to generate documents at the touch of a button. Including product configuration moves a company towards a configure-to-order production model and opens up opportunities for agile manufacturing.
Design automation can be used to reduce design work further. A design automation system can be used to automatically produce 3D models, detailed drawings, pass information to ERP systems or other production systems. In some cases, design automation can automate fully design processes that would previously have taken hundreds of hours.
We understand that it is essential to reduce cost in your business. Gatehouse Design is dedicated to helping companies make lean improvements. We can help by reducing waste in the following areas;
- Transport – Reduce unnecessary movement of information
- Inventory – Have just one source of information
- Movement – Reduce unnecessary business processes
- Waiting – Ensure information is available immediately
- Over-production – Produce only the information required
- Over-processing – Provide information only when it is required
- Defects – Remove defects from the source
- Skills – Deliver quality information to anyone authorised to get it